How to become a quality ultralight aircraft instructor
From the above title, it can be concluded that this article will deal with the way of obtaining the qualification of an instructor of small sports aircraft, in our country the so-called ultralights. The authorization of an instructor can be obtained in our country after a certain experience in flying, but being an empathetic, sought-after and, above all, high-quality instructor is quite demanding.
- So first to the conditions for obtaining this qualification. According to the UL3 regulation, the training syllabus of an ultralight aircraft pilot must meet the following before starting the instructor training:
- age at least 21 years,
- knowledge of the Czech language verbally and in writing,
- flew min. 200 hours at ULL, of which 75 hours at two-seater ULL as commander
- practical experience of at least three types,
- successful examination of theoretical knowledge,
- successful completion of a control flight with the Chief Traffic Inspector or his authorized traffic inspector.
- continuous pilot experience 5 years
Instructor training is conducted by the traffic inspector in an instructor course led by the chief traffic inspector. The training consists of training theory and of course practice. The syllabus of these trainings is again given in the UL3 regulation.
- Theoretical training must include:
- Theory of training lasting 6 hours (Self-preparation for training, theory, practice, knowledge of the training syllabus. Implementation of ground, pre-flight preparation and flight analysis. Analysis of student errors and their causes. Student evaluation - principles, scales. Human factor - its influence on approach to the student and vice versa, stress and behavior in emergency situations (administration - filling in training documentation).
- Aviation subjects in the range: Aerodynamics and flight mechanics 4 hours, Aviation regulations and Procedures ULL 5 hours, Aeronautical meteorology 5 hours, Construction and construction ULL 4 hours, Air navigation 4 hours, Engines, propellers, instruments 5 hours, Connecting regulations 1 hour, training methodology 4 hours, analysis of air accidents 4 hours .
In order to succeed in the entire ULL instructor course, the candidate must pass a test of theoretical knowledge at the end of the training and finally pass a practical exam. In the practical test, it is necessary to demonstrate mastery of all elements of piloting techniques required for the qualification of pilots, with a rating of 1 to 2 - all from the instructor's seat. In addition, they must demonstrate in flight the ability to correctly qualify piloting errors simulated by the traffic inspector and to classify their severity in accordance with the rating scale.
Instructor training In practical training, the person interested in an instructor must fly for several hours, basically in the instructor's seat. He must also independently manage an emergency landing with the engine off, landing at least five times without the engine.
In the world, nature arranged it in our opinion that you will not find two people with the same nature. Everyone is different, behaves differently and usually reacts differently to situations than you directly think. That's why working with people and teaching them to fly is not such a simple matter. Certainly every instructor will confirm to you from practice that he often experiences such a situation that the student will surprise him unexpectedly and this with his behavior and actions, both in a good sense and in a bad one. But the instructor must always be ready for that.
You certainly do not become a quality instructor immediately after obtaining an instructor's license, but usually only after a longer period of time, when you begin to learn for yourself what the instructor's activity is. You will begin to perceive the frequent mistakes of the students, which are repeated, you will also realize at what moment you really have to reach into the student's driving or let him pilot himself for a while so that he really learns the exercise and manages everything himself. Over time, you will also gain practice in how to treat students, when you can push the student a little or take off the gas, etc. In training, you must also sit with the student in a so-called human way. When it doesn't work between you and the student, there is no empathy between you - which can happen - the instructor needs to be replaced.
Now the question is whether to build your career on being a lifelong instructor. If you take into account that currently the hour of the instructor's flight is between 300, -CZK and 700, -CZK, rather 500, -CZK per hour, then we do not know whether to take this path at all. In a larger flight school you fly a maximum of 4 hours of flights a day and you will be happy to do so + maybe you will still lead the theory that day. Otherwise, the life of an instructor is not just about getting on a plane with a student and flying, but in advance the student must prepare for a specific flight, tell him what will be flown, what task, etc. no one usually pays for his time off the plane. He also has to keep learning and, as the pilots say, with each new flight the pilot gains more and more experience. Therefore, the more often the instructor flies, the better for him. So, in our opinion, being an instructor is a mission. We know a lot of instructors who gave up after a year or two. In our flight school, we do not train instructors for the time being, but those who are interested in learning only to fly for fun can do so here. You can find more about flight training in the Flight Schools section.
.The road to becoming a quality flight instructor is not easy, but if you want to pass on experience to others, here's the chance. It's not a way to become a millionaire, but for someone it will definitely be the real dream trip. Moreover, it is not when you arrive somewhere and your former student recognizes you in the radio and greets you "Hello Rosto" and you will of course answer that you like to hear him. At that moment, you have little satisfaction that your former student is flying for fun and that you taught him to fly once.